[Fsf-friends] Comrades’ new-found love with IT

Raj Mathur raju at linux-delhi.org
Thu Jan 1 22:01:53 IST 2009

On Thursday 01 Jan 2009, sandeep sr wrote:
> [snip]
> If opportunists start controlling the Free Software movement
> [snip]

Maybe I'm being totally stupid here, but would someone explain what
advantage control of FSF India or the free software movement here would
bring to any political party?

We don't control any voters (heck, we find it hard enough to agree on
anything within the community itself!)

We don't own large means of producing capital.

We don't listen to diktats or whips from anyone.

We are notoriously difficult to herd.

We all have our independent views of local, national and international
politics and events.

Our objectives are rarely the same as the objectives of any party.  Even
when the objectives converge, the reasons for and often the means of
achieving those objectives are widely divergent.

If I were a political party I'd keep my politics as far as possible from
this community, lest my existing followers also be tainted by the
spirit of independence and iconoclasm that the community evinces :)

Regards,

-- Raju
--
Raj Mathur                raju at kandalaya.org      http://kandalaya.org/