[Fsf-friends] Comrades’ new-found love with IT

Praveen A pravi.a at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 01:21:32 IST 2009

2009/1/1 Raj Mathur <raju at linux-delhi.org>:
> Maybe I'm being totally stupid here, but would someone explain what

I will try talk about some possible scenarios. It might be that, they
have never thought about it, but providing here just for the sake of
argument.

> advantage control of FSF India or the free software movement here would
> bring to any political party?

The name.

> We don't control any voters (heck, we find it hard enough to agree on
> anything within the community itself!)

But what about the thousands of IT professionals who are not yet in
the community, but could be brought in using an established name such
a FSF India or Free Software community.

> We don't own large means of producing capital.
>
> We don't listen to diktats or whips from anyone.

But new community members may go their way than our way.

> We are notoriously difficult to herd.

Again we are missing tha lrge number of unorganised IT professional
pool of workers who could be brought in.

> We all have our independent views of local, national and international
> politics and events.

Again same for new member, if given a chance they could talk about
their ideas. Like discussions on India-US nuclear deal when you meet
for coffee after a Free Software meet.

> Our objectives are rarely the same as the objectives of any party.  Even
> when the objectives converge, the reasons for and often the means of
> achieving those objectives are widely divergent.

We are giving them a chance to talk to a large pool of voters which
they can't approach directly.

> If I were a political party I'd keep my politics as far as possible from
> this community, lest my existing followers also be tainted by the
> spirit of independence and iconoclasm that the community evinces :)

The whole point as I visualise is the chance to organise the IT industry.

Note: All of this is pure speculations, just to fill the curiosity of
Raj (what could be possible). I don't have any proof of any of this
happening or discussed. And I do appreciate the efforts party making
to promote Free Software.

- Praveen
--
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍