[Fsf-friends] Adobe's position on software patents has changed?

Anivar Aravind anivar.aravind at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 18:48:34 IST 2008

A quote from todays Hindu report by Anant parthasarathy
http://www.hindu.com/2008/09/24/stories/2008092461930300.htm

Naresh Gupta, Sr. Vice President, Print & Publishing Business Unit
Adobe, and Managing Director, Adobe India, a leader of the imaging
software and solutions business, says: "We believe in safeguarding of
intellectual property rights. Adobe invests significant resources
towards innovation and we expect protection of our Intellectual
Property Rights, to be able to sustain business."

The position of Adobe on software patents in 1994 published by James
Huggins is here
http://www.jamesshuggins.com/h/tek1/software_patent_adobe.htm

   Let me make my position on the patentability of software clear. *I
believe that software per se should not be allowed patent protection*.
I take this position as the creator of software and as the beneficiary
of the rewards that innovative software can bring in the marketplace.
I do not take this position because I or my company are eager to steal
the ideas of others in our industry. Adobe has built its business by
creating new markets with new software. We take this position because
it is the best policy for maintaining a healthy software industry,
where innovation can prosper.

   The problems inherent in certain aspects of the patent process for
software-related inventions are well-known, the difficulties of
finding and citing prior art, the problems of obviousness, the
difficulties of adequate specifications for software are a few of
those problems. However, *I argue that software should not be
patented, not because it is difficult to do so, but because it is
wrong to do so.*

   In summary, these are my main points:

       * the software industry thrived without patents, creating its
fundamental base in an era of no software patents;
       * software patents harm the industry, with no corresponding benefit;
       * software embodies mathematical algorithms;
       * the law, starting with the Constitution, argues against
patents for software-related inventions;
       * and last, the proper form of protection for software is copyright.

I strongly feel we  need to  write an Open letter to Adobe  asking for
its policy change.

Anivar Aravind
http://anivar.movingrepublic.org

--
Any responsible politician should be encouraging a home grown FOSS
industry because it creates the basis for future jobs. Learning