[Fsf-friends] [FSUG-Bangalore] Fwd: Indian political party turns to FOSS

Anivar Aravind anivar.aravind at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 10:01:54 IST 2008

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 9:38 AM, renuka prasad <renukaprasadb at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 8:18 AM, Arun M <arun at gnu.org.in> wrote:
>>
>> May be this should start from Karnataka. FSUG Banglore team may be able
>> to start working on this. Can we get new government in Karnataka to
>> endorse
>> free software philosophy and begin the migration of schools to free
>> software ?

On software patent meeting Vinay (IT4change) shared a news about Free
software powered systems already reached karnataka Govt schools.  I
couldn't able to follow this with him yet. I think vinay is also a
member of FSUG-Bangalore List. Please share more info on this

AFAIK it is not happened through a Political decision. A member from
IISc in  Expert committee of this project suggested GNU/Linux as the
Pre-installed Operating system.

I think it opened up a huge possibility for spreading Free software in
Karnataka.  We have to find out the existing status first and  and
create a strategy for a statewide campaign.

We need more volunteers all over the state to start this initiative
and Creatively intervene in this

Anivar

> i think we should make a proper ground work and then approach with a more
> meticulous  proposal for adopting free softwares at school levels and then
> slowly to all the other sectors..
>
> I am interested to work towards this , can FSF-India ( or any body who feels
> that they are one among responsible person of the Free Society )  give more
> guidance about the approach that we need to make..as already it has
> experience in making several types  of proposals  at different levels and to
> different people.

Any responsible politician should be encouraging a home grown Free
Software industry because it creates the basis for future jobs.
Learning Windows is like learning to eat every meal at McDonalds.