[Fsf-friends] Item-9 in Open Source Definition

Raj Mathur raju at linux-delhi.org
Wed Nov 26 23:31:11 IST 2008

On Wednesday 26 Nov 2008, Mani A wrote:
> [snip]
> You are looking at only one of the ways used by proprietary software
> companies. They expect to profit in various  other ways. Most
> proprietary closed source software companies have big stakes in the
> organized crime industry too.  The latter is apparently as advanced
> (if not more) as any other industry.

Er, would you have some data to back up that statement?  If you mean
organised crime is technically advanced, sure, I have no quarrel with
that.  But a sweeping statement that ties organised crime and
proprietary software development companies is a bit too much to
swallow.

Or have I wandered into the Let's Gratuitously Bash Corporates Mailing
List by mistake?

BTW, most of the bot-control IRC servers controlled by organised crime
on the 'net run on cracked Linux boxes.  Some of them may even be
running on Gnusense... makes you stop and think about the connection
between FOSS and crime, huh? ;)

Regards,

-- Raju
--