[Fsf-friends] Software logos issue?

shirish shirishag75 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 16:54:28 IST 2008

Hi all,
       I work with companies & non-profits who want to take up/use
free & open source software within their institution as well as
promote its usage in the world using outreach programs. For doing this
I've been trying to compile a list of logos which could be used in
banners as well as elsewhere for either letting people know these
alternatives exist or/and to show which alternatives already exist.
      While compiling/downloading the logos I came across range of
issues. Some of the issues are as under :-

1. The logos are all scattered over different places, couldn't there
be a repository from where people could download these logos?
2.  Most of the logos range from having no license information, having
some restrictive license information to having some free content
license. Having such a barrage of differing licenses, there are bound
to some incompatible licenses, in such how does one use them in an
outreach program?
3. An extension of the above, how do non-profits who generally have no
skill-sets in understanding licensing as well as other issues supposed
to cope with the matter?
4. Some of the logos are not clear or are or bad quality. Some don't
have .svg filetype which could be used for printing either on paper,
cloth, flex or whichever material & scales up easily.

So can we as a community come up with some solution to the above
issues & make it easier for people who want to show off some of the
work done by the global community & feel to be part of the community?

Feel free to comment, suggest and/or flame on the topic :)
          Shirish Agarwal

065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3  8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17