[Fsf-friends] [Fwd: [ilugd] Revoking/Objecting to Software Patents in Indian Patent Office]

Nagarjuna G. nagarjun@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sun Sep 30 19:22:43 IST 2007

On 9/30/07, Ramanathan Muthaiah <rus.cahimb at gmail.com> wrote:

> > http://spicyipindia.blogspot.com/2007/09/spicyip-tidbits_23.html
> >
> > India, prima facie, does not allow pure software patents or business
> method
> > patents. But that doesn't stop companies from trying. The Indian Patent
> > Office is already being flooded with the patents described as "A web
> based
> > system to do XYZ" or "A computer system in conjunction with XY to do Z"
> >
> > With no one opposing them (and not enough noise about this, like in the
> case
> > of pharma patents), there's a high probability that this would get
> granted.
> > Does anyone know of a concerted effort to keep this kind of cruft out
> from
> > our country? Any pointers?
>
> Nandz,
>
> Why not FSF, maybe volunteers / members of FSF, review such patents
> while they are posted for public comments ?

Considering the importance of this matter, FSF India is willing to  find a
way of doing this.  If any of you would like to work for FSF, FSFI can
consider to compensate for their time.  Please write to me if you know of
such candidates.

Nagarjuna