Re: [Fsf-friends] Re: [കേ.ശാ.സാ.പ] Red Hat signs MoU with Kerala govt

Ramakrishna Reddy ramkrsna@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Thu Jun 7 14:48:01 IST 2007

On 6/7/07, sujith h <sujith.h at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/6/07, Santhosh Thottingal <santhosh00 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > The following article was posting at this link
> > http://www.ciol.com/content/search/showarticle1.asp?artid=98103
> >
> > Red Hat signs MoU with Kerala govt
> > Red Hat to support Kerala's deployment of open source software
>

> Whats wrong with Debian??? What about the IT at School project which is worlds
> largest debian installation project!!!

 As long as people use GNU + Linux , its  doesn't matter if its
Debian, Fedora or Slackware.

> NEW DELHI, INDIA: Red Hat has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU)
> > with the government of Kerala to support the state's deployment of open
> > source software for the benefit of e-governance and e-literacy efforts.
>

> Lots of people are working for Swathanthra Malayalam Computing in order to
> help
> people to use Malayalam in their computers which has Debian!!! We conduct
> meetings regularly
> to update the status of Swathanthra Malayalam Computing (SMC)project.
>
> As per the MoU, Red Hat will work with the Kerala government to conduct
> > capacity-building programs around open source software.
> >
> > Red Hat will train the technical staff of various government organizations
> > on open source applications. Red Hat will also train school teachers in
> > Kerala on Linux desktop skills under a "Train-the-Trainer" program.
>

> Lots of teachers are trained to use Debian. Now why this change???

you mean GNU + Linux.

> The Kerala Government's IT Policy draft has identified Free and Open Source
> > Software (FOSS) as a major strategic component in its efforts to build an
> > inclusive information society.
> >
> > "Kerala has always been a leader in literacy and now we want to make
> > Kerala a leader in e-literacy," said V. S. Achutanandan, chief minister of
> > Kerala.
> >
> > "We believe that Free and Open Source Software is an essential component
> > in our drive to democratize information technology and bring its benefits to
> > all sections of society. We are pleased to partner with Red Hat, an open
> > source leader, in bringing e-literacy and e-governance to the people of
> > Kerala."
> >
> > "The Kerala Government has taken a very progressive step in choosing open
> > source software. The freedom, flexibility and cost-effectiveness of open
> > source helps governments maximize their IT budgets," said Nandkumar Pradhan,
> > president and managing director, Red Hat India.
>

> Is there  any advantage for a community project over a social contract???
>
> Red Hat and the Kerala government will also work together to promote Kerala
> > as a global destination for developing open source software.
> >

> This is really a shocking news!!!
> --
> സുജിത് ഹരിദാസന്
> Bangalore
> http://fci.wikia.com/wiki/Anti-DRM-Campaign

Ramakrishna Reddy                                               GPG
Key ID:31FF0090
Fingerprint =  18D7 3FC1 784B B57F C08F  32B9 4496 B2A1 31FF 0090