[Fsf-friends] Re: [കേ.ശാ.സാ.പ] Red Hat signs MoU with Kerala govt

sujith h sujith.h@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Thu Jun 7 12:31:14 IST 2007

On 6/6/07, Santhosh Thottingal <santhosh00 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The following article was posting at this link
> http://www.ciol.com/content/search/showarticle1.asp?artid=98103
>
> Red Hat signs MoU with Kerala govt
> Red Hat to support Kerala's deployment of open source software

Whats wrong with Debian??? What about the IT at School project which is worlds
largest debian installation project!!!

NEW DELHI, INDIA: Red Hat has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU)
> with the government of Kerala to support the state's deployment of open
> source software for the benefit of e-governance and e-literacy efforts.

Lots of people are working for Swathanthra Malayalam Computing in order to
help
people to use Malayalam in their computers which has Debian!!! We conduct
meetings regularly
to update the status of Swathanthra Malayalam Computing (SMC)project.

As per the MoU, Red Hat will work with the Kerala government to conduct
> capacity-building programs around open source software.
>
> Red Hat will train the technical staff of various government organizations
> on open source applications. Red Hat will also train school teachers in
> Kerala on Linux desktop skills under a "Train-the-Trainer" program.

Lots of teachers are trained to use Debian. Now why this change???

The Kerala Government's IT Policy draft has identified Free and Open Source
> Software (FOSS) as a major strategic component in its efforts to build an
> inclusive information society.
>
> "Kerala has always been a leader in literacy and now we want to make
> Kerala a leader in e-literacy," said V. S. Achutanandan, chief minister of
> Kerala.
>
> "We believe that Free and Open Source Software is an essential component
> in our drive to democratize information technology and bring its benefits to
> all sections of society. We are pleased to partner with Red Hat, an open
> source leader, in bringing e-literacy and e-governance to the people of
> Kerala."
>
> "The Kerala Government has taken a very progressive step in choosing open
> source software. The freedom, flexibility and cost-effectiveness of open
> source helps governments maximize their IT budgets," said Nandkumar Pradhan,
> president and managing director, Red Hat India.

Is there  any advantage for a community project over a social contract???

Red Hat and the Kerala government will also work together to promote Kerala
> as a global destination for developing open source software.

This is really a shocking news!!!
--
സുജിത് ഹരിദാസന്
Bangalore