[Fsf-friends] Re: Fsf-friends Digest, Vol 33, Issue 10

Krishna Pagadala krishnaact@antispam.org
Tue Jan 17 00:39:43 IST 2006

Krishna> Both of us can read and write english but
  Krishna> normal ppl cannot do so, ...

 Raj> Erk, I'm not normal now?

 I should have written "but majority of Indians cannot do so"

Krishna> Because wikipedia is Free as in Freedom, and
     Krishna> nobody makes money off of it.

 Raj> Please don't confuse the Free as in Freedom with
 Raj> making money.  I make money out of free software,
 Raj> as do lots of people.  Free/Libre and Proprietary
 Raj> have nothing to do with commercial or non-commercial.

 I accept your correction. However my comment has some value in it.
 The original question was
  "makes an exact copy of gpl software, sells it and makes millions"
 the way I read it, the third party CustY starts a bussiness of selling exact copies (of course it wont work). The way people are making money is by selling service which is an entirely different bussiness, and viewed differently by society.

 In my example nobody makes money off of Wikipedia, which is strictly not true, because you can still sell CD's and other services on top of it. But it holds up overall.

 -Krishna

To Reflect, to Inspire and to Empower
http://www.employees.org/~krishnap/

    The great moral question of the twenty-first century is: If all knowledge, all culture, all art, all useful information, can be costlessly given to everyone at the same price that it is given to anyone -- if everyone can have everything, everywhere, all the time, why is it ever moral to exclude anyone from anything? -Eben Moglen