[Fsf-friends] conference!

Ramanraj K ramanraj.k@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sun Feb 12 08:57:01 IST 2006

Mishi Choudhary wrote:

>some of you might remember me  from the basic questions and queries i keep shooting your way.i am a lawyer practising at thedelhi high court and supreme court of india and wish to introduce the concept of free and open software to the legal community in northern india.i am aware that most of  you learned ppl are based in the southern part of the country which is also the geek hub,the northern india especially the legal community is unaware ofthe same despite the kinda conferences being organised as linux asia which wound up today only.considering the growth of free software ,the day is not far when all developers would need legal advise to avoid any hassles in their creative work.in view of the same i as a member of the delhi bar association wish to organise a conference on the same and request your contribution in terms of ideas,participation anything and everything .kindly give it a thought and consider my proposal

I have attended a couple of demo day events organised by ilugc here in
Chennai.  Please check out the "Special Events" at
http://www.chennailug.org/meetings.php to get an idea about how
volunteers get together to discuss free software and also introduce it
to newbies.  The idea is to have as many running systems for demo,
allowing visitors to view or play with them, and also have an
arrangement to share distros.  The minutes of a typical free software
user group meet  I had the pleasure to attend is at
http://www.chennailug.org/meeting/minutes/yr2004/momlf2004.html  Please
get in touch with the local free software user groups who could
volunteer to help in your conference.

The spirit of the movement is essentially to share work with others, as
freely as possible.  The mood is casual and informal, and there can be
no doubt that those involved are dead serious on technical matters and
try to maintain the highest possible coding and ethical standards.
Status here depends on merit and nothing else.

The legal community urgently needs to equip itself with as much as
possible on free and open software and standards, to understand modern
technology and business practices that are rapidly advancing.  If we
fail here, our profession may be left behind to fend for itself in
darkness.  Further, free software could become the mother of all our
freedoms, and I had an occasion to write about it at
http://mm.gnu.org.in/pipermail/fsf-friends/2003-September/001190.html
and our duties there cannot be done without a firm grasp and
understanding about free software.

Others have already pointed to literature on free software, and I could
suggest "Free for All" also to introduce free software to the legal
community, available at http://www.wayner.org/books/ffa/ that
incidentally chronicles the court trials that led to the release of
FreeBSD. I am sure you have come across the articles by Justice Yatindra
Singh, on computer software which is also available on the web site of
the Allahabad high court (www.allahabadhighcourt.in)  at
http://www.allahabadhighcourt.in/calendar/itemWiseList.jsp?group=11

HTH :)

-Ramanraj K