[Fsf-friends] Hardware vendors (was: MS' influence in academia)

V. Sasi Kumar sasi.cess@gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 09:45:09 IST 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-14 at 20:34 +0530, Mahesh T. Pai wrote:
> V. Sasi Kumar said on Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 05:01:01PM +0530,:
>
>  > It may be  relevant here that the Government  of Kerala has decided
>  > to  shift the  school curriculum  to free  software.  The Malayalam
>  > newspaper
>
> BTW, in what  I regard as a good omen, the  hardware vendors in Kerala
> have rallied  around Novell  and have decided  to pre-install  SuSE on
> systems they sell.

That is good news. It would have been still better if it had been
Debian.

> However,  there is  not much  talk  about benefits  of Free  Software,
> hough much hot air about free  software is there. IMO, a beginning has
> to be made somewhere.

The KSTA, which fought for Free Software in schools, was largely motivated by the fact that it provides freedom, rather than the low cost. I think that is positive. They also recognised the fact that a large number of educational software tools are available as Free Software.

--
V. Sasi Kumar <sasi.cess@gmail.com>
Centre for Earth Science Studies