[Fsf-friends] RMS Interview: excerpts "Losing jobs due to Free Software"

Praveen A pravi.a@gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 18:52:09 IST 2005

Hi all,

In this interview Stallman addresses the much exaggerated issue of losing
jobs due to Free Software.*

Read the full interview at kerneltrap.org <http://kerneltrap.org>
http://kerneltrap.org/node/4484*

*<quote>
JA*: What about the programmers...

*Richard Stallman*: What about them? The programmers writing non-free
software? They are doing something antisocial. They should get some other
job.

*JA*: Such as?

*Richard Stallman*: There are thousands of different jobs people can have in
society without developing non-free software. You can even be a programmer.
Most paid programmers are developing custom software--only a small fraction
are developing non-free software. The small fraction of proprietary software
jobs are not hard to avoid.

*JA*: What is the distinction there?

*Richard Stallman*: Non-free software is meant to be distributed to the
public. Custom software is meant to be used by one client. There's no
ethical problem with custom software as long as you're respecting your
client's freedom.

The next point is that programmers are a tiny fraction of employment in the
computer field. Suppose somebody developed an AI and no programmers were
needed anymore. Would this be a disaster? Would all the people who are now
programmers be doomed to unemployment for the rest of their lives? Obviously
not, but this doesn't stop people from exaggerating the issue.

And what if there aren't any programming jobs in the US anymore?

*JA*: You mean what if all the programming jobs were outsourced to foreign
countries?

*Richard Stallman*: Yes, what if they all go? This may actually happen. When
you start thinking about things like total levels of employment, you've got
think about all the factors that affect it, not blame it all on one factor.
The cause of unemployment is not someone or society deciding that software
should be free. The cause of the problem is largely economic policies
designed to benefit only the rich. Such as driving wages down.

You know, it's no coincidence that we're having all this outsourcing. That
was carefully planned. International treaties were designed to make this
happen so that people's wages would be reduced.

*JA*: Can you cite specific examples?

*Richard Stallman*: FTAA. The World Trade Organization. NAFTA. These
treaties are designed to reduce wages by making it easy for a company to say
to various countries, "which of you will let us pay people the least? That's
were we're headed." And if any country starts having a somewhat increased
standard of living, companies say "oh, this is a bad labor climate here.
You're not making a good climate for business. All the business is going to
go away. You better make sure that people get paid less. You're following a
foolish policy arranging for workers of your country to be paid more. You've
got to make sure that your workers are the lowest paid anywhere in the
world, then we'll come back. Otherwise we're all going to run away and
punish you."

Businesses very often do it, they move operations out of a country to punish
that country. And I've recently come to the conclusion that frictionless
international trade is inherently a harmful thing, because it makes it too
easy for companies to move from one country to another. We have to make that
difficult enough that each company can be stuck in some country that can
regulate it.

The book *No Logo* explains that the Philippines have laws that protect
labor standards, but these laws count for nothing any more. They decided to
set up "enterprise zones" - that's the euphemism they used for "sweat shop
zones" - where companies are exempt from these rules for the first two
years. And as a result, no company lasts for more than two years. When their
exemption runs out, the owners shut it down and they start another.
*</quote>
Read the full interview at kerneltrap.org <http://kerneltrap.org>
http://kerneltrap.org/node/4484
*--
"GNU is the system, and Linux is the kernel."
A proud GNU user http://www.gnu.org
My Weblog at http://www.pravi.co.nr
Rediscover the web ! Get firefox at http://www.getfirefox.com