[Fsf-friends] Continuation....of Basics......

Mahesh T. Pai paivakil@vsnl.net
Fri Sep 24 23:46:07 IST 2004

Sriharsha Vedurmudi said on Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 10:12:23PM +0530,:

 > Are you going to compensate for the losses incurred? A few hundreds

Why did you pay the `mastermind' then?

 > Do you expect  that the mastermind will bring  his mutated code for
 > your kind perusal  and dance and make merry  when you discover that
 > it is not original?  Coming to why I did not take  action, I got in
 > touch with them

THAT is,  why, my  dear, we  have the concept  of `COPYLEFT'.   If the
software was  free, and also  `copylefted', using a free  license with
strong  copyleft provisions, like  the GNU  GPL (and  NOT a  mere open
source license), this master mind  certainly can be forced to spew out
the code and his modifications.

Have a look at sections 2 and 3 of the GNU GPL.

 > after the damage was done. Ofcourse the problem was solved.

Ah. But surely, this is the first mail you say this? Or did I miss any
of the previous mails?

It really is not fair (or  useful) to complain about a solved problem,
without telling us what it was, and  how you solved it. If you tell us
how it arose, AND ALSO how you solved it, we might be able to identify
the flaws (if any) involved in  the community process and fix it. That
way, you would be helping  the community by assisting the community to
fix the problem you encountered, and thus ensuring that another person
or user does not face a similar problem in the future.

--
         Mahesh T. Pai    <<>>   http://paivakil.port5.com