[Fsf-friends] Re: DotNet

Sandip Bhattacharya sandip@lug-delhi.org
Thu Oct 28 12:46:31 IST 2004

Joe Steeve wrote:
> Thought mono is a GPLed software, the motivations of that project
> are not very supportive. DotNET is a dirty commercial
> venture. Mono's intention is not to defeat the dirty plan., but
> rather to enhance it on a different platform. If any GLUG/LUG
> decide to let a session on DotNET, it should be purely on
> DotGNU.

And how do you think .Net is different from Java in this regard?

- Both are backed by software giants
- Both companies have traditionally been fiercely proprietary
- Both of them offer a new language/platform.
- While C# is now an ECMA standard, Java is still architected by Sun's
engineers (even though Sun can claim that they have a "community" process
for extending the language/specs)
- Both have patents of various aspects of the implementation.
- Both have proprietary implementations in the market.
- Both have evangelists eager to win converts to the new platform.
- Both the corporations are profit driven.

Yet, since the days Java came into the market, there has been an explosion
in FOSS software. We have several Java implementations now(including
various GNU ones), and none to my knowledge was started off to defeat
someone, but rather to provide an alternative.

Then why jump upon .Net just because it is offered from a particular
company? Let them be misled into thinking they can infect the FOSS
movement, while let us keep doing the reverse. ;)

BTW, the heydays of software products is over. Prepare yourself for the
next generation - services[1]. In the future, it wont matter to consumers
which OS/language/platform they use - the service will be God. In that
point of view, Mono(and especially Mono ASP.Net)/dotGNU is going to be
critical. So call them enhancing a dirty venture, if you will. But just
like Apache has taken over the backend web server market, you will find
Linux/Mono/dotGNU taking over the currently booming market of ASP.Net
applications.

As somebody had once said something similar - "The dirty plan being
defeated will be entirely a side effect". :)

- Sandip

[1]
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/tim/opensource/paradigmshift_0504.html

--
"সন্দীপ"
Sandip Bhattacharya    *    Puroga Technologies   *     sandip@puroga.com

PGP/GPG Signature: 51A4 6C57 4BC6 8C82 6A65 AE78 B1A1 2280 A129 0FF3