[Fsf-friends] DotNet

Sandip Bhattacharya sandip@lug-delhi.org
Tue Oct 26 04:18:40 IST 2004

Frederick Noronha (FN) wrote:
> Re the request by Microsoft to speak at the Hyderabad usergroup on DotNet,
> I think a similar topic was presented at LinuxBangalore in 2002 or 2003.
>
> I wonder how someone like RMS would respond to such a development, which
> seems to me like an 'embrace and extend' style of combatting GNU/Linux. FN

On the other hand, this might be a great opportunity! Participants can read
up on the Mono project beforehand, and ask M$ pointed questions on how
patent-unencumbered .Net really is, to allow Free Software world to use it.

There are manay analogies of .Net/Microsoft to Java/Sun with respect to
licensing/freedom(or lack of it)/patents/standardisation, and if one is
comfortable with the latter to any extent, they should be interested to
know how the .Net platform is going to contribute to Linux based distributions.

- Sandip

--
Sandip Bhattacharya    *    Puroga Technologies   *     sandip@puroga.com
Work: http://www.puroga.com        *         Home: http://www.sandipb.net

PGP/GPG Signature: 51A4 6C57 4BC6 8C82 6A65 AE78 B1A1 2280 A129 0FF3