[Fsf-friends] IBM in pact with C-DAT, IIT Mumbai

Nagarjuna G. nagarjun@gnowledge.org
Sun Oct 10 15:43:37 IST 2004

> In fact, in  light of this event,  I think the time is  right now ripe
> for this  community to  take the  initiative and ask  them to  open up
> their previous works in localisation field.  The IBM sponsored project
> will provide resources for the future. I am afraid that the past works
> might  remain  locked, and  we  need to  ensure  that  it is  publicly
> available.

One of the most important resources this centre should nurture is good
resource perosns of free software community.

The leaders of this group are known to be free software enthusiasts.
Therefore I do have hope that community can ask what we expect from a
resource centre like that.  Govt and TDIL are willing to consider
transforming their software resources into free software.  But, this
task is very big, for we need to study them carefully.  This must be
done by a resource centre like this.  If they plan to create only a
lab which will be used by the students of CDAC and NCST and their work
getting into public access, this process doesnt actually need any
seperate centre.

In the recent past we managed to create several contacts.  I really
wish we have at least two very articulate full timers to take this
responsibility of pursuing the relationships and managing.  Eventually
FSF India or another organization will be able to compensate such
people.  Please do a soul search.  I want to suggest their names to
the people who keep asking us for resource persons.

Nagarjuna