[Fsf-friends] IBM in pact with C-DAT, IIT Mumbai

Mahesh T. Pai paivakil@vsnl.net
Sun Oct 10 12:32:42 IST 2004

Ramanraj K said on Sun, Oct 10, 2004 at 10:00:02AM +0530,:

 > NCST involved, but of course, it's even better to just give the money
 > to the LUGs :-). We can do a better job popularizing FLOSS.
          ^^^^

I do  not want the  C-DAC to be  tied down to kernel  development, and
rather  have  them  support  the  free  software  hackers  and  hacker
communities. Advocacy is an entirely different area, and I am not sure
that the C-DaC will be itnerested in that.

Hmmm ... I am open to suggestions all the same.

In fact, in  light of this event,  I think the time is  right now ripe
for this  community to  take the  initiative and ask  them to  open up
their previous works in localisation field.  The IBM sponsored project
will provide resources for the future. I am afraid that the past works
might  remain  locked, and  we  need to  ensure  that  it is  publicly
available.

In light  of the recent  opportunity I had  to interact with  the NCST
division of C-DAC, I notice an enthusiasm among its staff and officers
who are well aware of the underlying philosophy and community building
aspects of the Free Software movement.  All that is required is only a
small nudge  and a bit of  push to institutionalise  the approach, for
the bureaucrats and the babus are no push overs.  Hence, we need to to
guide them in the right direction.

How do we go about it?

--
         Mahesh T. Pai    <<>>   http://paivakil.port5.com
Distributing free copies of non-free software is --