[Fsf-friends] Science Olympiads... Prof Vijay A Singh

Frederick Noronha (FN) fred@bytesforall.org
Sun May 23 19:17:41 IST 2004

During our recent GNU/LUG meeting in Goa, I had the chance of meeting Prof
Vijay A Singh, the National Coordinator of the Science Olympiads. It was
nice to know that Dr Singh (IIT Kanpur, on deputation at the Science
Olympaids, is also a part of the FSF-Friends list.

Wonder if the ideals of Free Software and FLOSS could be somehow networked
with the National Olympaid, so that we could benefit from each other's
synergies. Incidentally, Prof Singh is at the Homi Bhabha Centre for
Science Education, so it could be easy for Prof Nagarjuna to build the
links too.

BTW, we have just shifted the venue of the GNU/LUG meetings in Goa to the
Goa Science Centre, located at a nice setting on the Miramar beach. Our
argument was that while the GSCP (Goa Science Centre Panjim) is promoting
science, we are promoting technology -- as such a made-for-each-other
match. We hope that we can take the idealism of FLOSS to the younger
generation, and thus help take ahead the agenda of the GSCP, while at the
same time gaining from a suitable venue for holding our meets. Let's see
how this works. In the past, our Goa group had also closely networked with
the Computer Society of India (Goa chapter). The only handicap was the
lack of hardware for demos at their office premises, which they were very
generous to loan out to us without any charge for our meetings held over
the past two to three years. FN
Frederick Noronha * Freelance Journalist * Goa, India
f r e d @ b y t e s f o r a l l . o r g
Ph 832.2409490 / 832.2409783 Cell 9822 122436
Phone calls: preferably from 1300 to 0500 (IST)
Try landlines is mobile is temporarily unavailable
JUST OUT: Goa photos http://www.goa-world.com/fotofolio