[Fsf-friends] Freedom matters - So does good software !!

Rishi rishi@gangfam.com
Fri May 7 08:11:26 IST 2004

On Wednesday 05 May 2004 5:45 pm, Nagarjuna G. wrote:
> While the above argument looks obvious, in the proposition 3. `Good' is
> difficult to define.  Otherwise there is no problem.
>
> Would you like to attempt to define or provide parameters for a good
> software, let us begin a new thread.

Nagarjuna,

I have to say that I need to learn to write like you. I've been wanting to say
the same thing in my previous responses to Tarun, but obviously failed badly.

Tarun,

I too am very keen on the details on what's not good about the existing 'free'
software.

I recollect having problems trying to get my wife to using free software about
3 years back when I had a Pentium 166 Mhz with 32 MB RAM because I made her
switch to using 'mutt' and 'lynx' instead of 'Outlook Express' and 'Internet
Explorer' ...   ;-)

With that kind of horse power, X Windows did not run very well.

But for past one year I have a Celeron with 128 MB RAM and my wife can't tell
the difference between Windoze and GNU/Linux (Knoppix/Debian).. The KDE-XP
Theme makes the job even that much easier to help users make the switch.

http://themes.kde.org/content/show.php?content=1499

I really want to know what the issues are with free software...

Regards

Rishi