[Fsf-friends] Fwd: [linux_schools] Setting Up Computer Lab in School in Bangalore

V. Sasi Kumar vsasi@hotpop.com
Tue Jul 27 11:18:39 IST 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 22:53, Rakesh 'arky' Ambati wrote:

> > I am looking for resources that could -
> >   1. Support the hardware
> >   2. Syllabus based on open source software for
> > children of class 1
> > to Xth.

I would suggest that you do not introduce computers at the class 1
level. In my opinion, there should not be any computer classes before
class 7 or 8. Below that age, children should be running around and
playing more than anything else. They should, ideally, learn through
play. There is a school in central Kerala that does precisely this.
Children up to class 7 are not forced to sit in the class or assigned
specific tasks. The job of the teacher is to ensure that the children
learn things as a part of whatever they do. This is hard on the teacher,
but the children do learn, and not just bookish knowledge that helps
only to write answers in examinations.

--
V. Sasi Kumar <vsasi@hotpop.com>