[Fsf-friends] Kannur University Courses

Manilal manilal@sepsit.org
Mon Jan 26 13:45:12 IST 2004

Friends,
      Most of the students wish to learn GPL'd softwares from
Universities. But unfortunately many of the universities in
Kerala(and in India) are not  offering such courses. The Kannur
University is a role model in this case.  The University is offering
Post Graduate programmes in Swathanthra Software right from the year
2000. The courses offered are M Sc(Computer Science) and MCA(Master
in Computer Applications). The syllabus of these two courses are
based on GPL'd software. Only one paper is there in the whole course
which has a proprietary nature(Microsoft Architecture and
VC++(theory only)). Some of the prominent topics covered are Linux
administration, PostgreSQL, BIND, Apache, Etherboot, Squid, Samba,
Linux Kernel, TCP/IP, Socket Programming etc...  The labs are
arranged with GNU/Linux OS(RedHat and Mandrake).

       The disappointing matter here is that these courses are in a phase
of disintegration.  The University authorities are now trying to
change the syllabus completely to Proprietary nature due to some
external pressures. In my knowledge, some of the faculty members
are  also trying to topple the course. Many of the Kannur
University centres are being shut down due to lack of students. I
think the main reason is the lack of publicity(and funds).  Earlier
there were some protests in changing the syllabus from the students
itself.
       Many students are unaware of the fact that the university is
offering such a course. My request to the list members is that
please take over this matter(if relevant) to as many lists as
possible so that those who are interested can join the course. It's
a nice opportunity to learn Swathanthra Software. I think the ?Free
Software Community? may have some interest in such courses.Those
who need the syllabus of these course contact me.
regards
Manilal