[Fsf-friends] CSIR uses only Microsoft

V. Sasi Kumar vsasi@vsnl.com
Sun Jan 11 18:52:00 IST 2004

On Sat, 2004-01-10 at 22:44, Ramanraj K wrote:

> The CSIR is doing valuable serious research, but their work could shine
> better and reach a wider audience through free software.   At
> infomain.cfm I found that CSIR has authored several software programs.
> What platforms are they written for?  Would it not be better if such
> scientific software is released to the public as free software?  Why are
> the web designers at CSIR using such heavy graphics and amatuer gimmics
> that make it difficult to navigate the site?  I would expect a rich
> content at such a site, and the use of heavy graphics that do not
> present information in a scientific way are inappropriate for a body
> like CSIR.  It is important that we prepare a detailed memorandum and
> send it to all concerned for action.  We will need to send memorandums
> to the PM also, because he is the President of CSIR.

I think these are very valid points, although there may be a doubt about whether this is the right place to discuss issues like design of website.

However, it may not be inappropriate to send a memorandum to the CSIR,
the Prime Minister and the President on these issues, especially on the
software developed or used by CSIR. Perhaps we could include a couple of
lines on the design of the website also (in which case there need not be
another memorandum as mentioned in my earlier mail). Would Ramanraj
volunteer to draft such a memorandum?

Regards

--
V. Sasi Kumar <vsasi@vsnl.com>