[Fsf-friends] CSIR uses only Microsoft

Ramanraj K ramanraj@md4.vsnl.net.in
Sat Jan 10 22:44:04 IST 2004

eiidp wrote:

>> How can we bring some pressure on CSIR to move to Free Software?
>

> May be President Abdul Kalam who is convinced of our movement  and
> having a good influence on  CSIR authorities can intervene in this
> matter. Why don't we prepare and submit a mass petition to President
> and send its copy to CSIR authorities and related officers

Please visit:
http://presidentofindia.nic.in/
NIC runs our President's site on a Microsoft server.  NIC uses Apache on
some of its servers, and I am sure it could use free software to run the
servers that serve our President, knowing well about his open views on
the software that is suitable for our country.  We also need to request
NIC to use free software and also acknowledge its use when used in its
sites.

Reg: CSIR
http://www.csir.res.in
http://www.csir.res.in/infomain.cfm
http://www.csir.res.in/csirsite/alldiam/wdiamond.htm

The CSIR is doing valuable serious research, but their work could shine
better and reach a wider audience through free software.   At
infomain.cfm I found that CSIR has authored several software programs.
What platforms are they written for?  Would it not be better if such
scientific software is released to the public as free software?  Why are
the web designers at CSIR using such heavy graphics and amatuer gimmics
that make it difficult to navigate the site?  I would expect a rich
content at such a site, and the use of heavy graphics that do not
present information in a scientific way are inappropriate for a body
like CSIR.  It is important that we prepare a detailed memorandum and
send it to all concerned for action.  We will need to send memorandums
to the PM also, because he is the President of CSIR.