[Fsf-friends] Malayalam

Anivar Aravind anivar@linuxmail.org
Wed Jan 7 02:39:02 IST 2004

Once C.Radhakrishnan (Writer in malayalam) said. "The main threat we done to our language wass the making of malayalam equivalents for Technical words. It was done by a Team in 'Kerala Bhasha Institute' lead by Shri.N.V krishnavarier."
tne essence of the rest of his article is as follows.
 They published a Technology equivalent Words dictionary. They used sanskrit words frequently as malayalam words. Malayalam is a growing language. In malayalam we adopted so many Tamil,sanscrit,portugeese,English words and make it as a part of our language. This translations by bhasha institute were took place inall malayalam text books. This made a huge divide between English medium and malayalam medium students. Those who completed malayalam medium schooling feared in front of english technical words, that he never heard before in college classes. This conversion made the language more tougher and ununderstandable than the content. japan and china are adopted the same technical terms in english to their language.

Please keep these in mind."Ganam","soothram","Mruthu
saamagri"etc are pure sanscrit words. these are the words used only by "savarna" people or budhijeevees in common usge. these does note communicate with a mass. The most appropriate translation for *free software* is *swatahnthra software*   .The malayalam translation of GPL done by Mahesh T.pai have some problems of communication(sometimes only me). I think "Swathanthra software Fountation" is more communicatable than "Swathanthra software Prathishtanam".

Anivar Aravind
gathering of lbre developers,CUSAT