[Fsf-friends] Std. Bars

Ramanraj K ramanraj@vsnl.com
Thu Dec 2 23:12:31 IST 2004

Sandip Bhattacharya wrote:

 >W3C, IETF, ECMA, etc. are industry standard groups with world wide
 >accepted open discussion processes! I am curious. Which prevalent
 >computer standard would *you* accept as a "Standard"? Are you talking
 >about BIS standards or ISO standards or what?

OK. By "standard", you meant those "industry standard groups with world
wide accepted open discussion processes".  I like "vendor neutral free
and open specifications" that I often hear of, better. Defining
standards would help to reason clearly why foo is ok but foo_bar is not
ok. Intl. orgs where governments are well represented are best suited to
do this task of defining standards, and it is easier that way to have
std. gov. policies that can be very easily followed or enforced.

 >Are you trying to say that it is acceptable to use a single-company
 >proprietary standards (like MS IE extensions, Active X etc.) but not
 >acceptable to use open Industry standards?

No.