[Fsf-friends] Indian Linux users cant see constitution in Hindi

Sandip Bhattacharya sandip@lug-delhi.org
Thu Dec 2 12:52:39 IST 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 09:28 +0530, Ramanraj K wrote:
> Sandip Bhattacharya wrote:
>

> >Fall short of my standards? I am talking about web standards defined
> >here: http://www.w3c.org/ for HTML/DOM/CSS,
> >http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-262.htm
> >
> >for Javascript. And there is nothing specific to public bodies. All
> >websites should be trying to comply with these standards as much as
> >possible.
> >

> Many of these are defacto standards, evolved by the industry/other
> groups with little or no gov participation. ecma is a group of
> propreitary companies agreeing upon a few "standards".  Any "standards"
> set by such groups cannot be accepted automatically as "standard".  Each
> has to be taken case by case, item by item, and after careful
> evaluation, adopt it for public use, if they do pass any common test
> that may be devised for this purpose.

W3C, IETF, ECMA, etc. are industry standard groups with world wide
accepted open discussion processes! I am curious. Which prevalent
computer standard would *you* accept as a "Standard"? Are you talking
about BIS standards or ISO standards or what?

Are you trying to say that it is acceptable to use a single-company
proprietary standards (like MS IE extensions, Active X etc.) but not
acceptable to use open Industry standards? Check out the NIC OSF
website. Virtually all their recommended standards are those which have
been drawn by these industry bodies and accepted the world over. As I
said before, these standards have existed for years! And any body in the
industry who knows a bit about what they are doing, are aware of these
standards.

- Sandip

--
Sandip Bhattacharya    *    Puroga Technologies   *     sandip@puroga.com
Work: http://www.puroga.com        *         Home: http://www.sandipb.net

PGP/GPG Signature: 51A4 6C57 4BC6 8C82 6A65 AE78 B1A1 2280 A129 0FF3

The greatest griefs are those we cause ourselves.
		-- Sophocles