[Fsf-friends] INTRODUCING: Hong Feng... of China

Frederick Noronha (FN) fred@bytesforall.org
Mon Oct 20 09:51:47 IST 2003

SELF-INTRO OF Hong Feng... interesting to see what others in Asia are
upto. FN
-----

My name is Hong Feng. I was born in 1968 in HuNan
Province, China.

After graduated from my university, I'd studied
mathematics and Pansystems Methodology after the theory
founder, Prof. Wu XueMou, in Wuhan during 1988-1991. In
1992-1995, I visited Russia and stayed in Moscow. I was
greatly impressed by the Russian social reforms.

I founded RON's Datacom Co., Ltd. with other 2 people in
May 1995 when I returned from Russia. Since then, I have
been exploring how to build a successful business model on
the basis of free software (which has wrongly been called
as "open sources software" since 1998 in the public media
and by part of the community). Free software is so
interesting, I have been enthusiastically promoting it in
China for years.

During 1997-1999, I had worked as the chief editor at
O'Reilly & Associates in Beijing. It is an American
publisher of computer books. During that time, I
translated several books from English into Chinese. But I
no longer effort any proprietary publications in the 21st
Century.

In my spare time, I like reading books on various topics,
especially philosophy and history (I should admit I am too
bookish); travelling to some places with beautiful nature
scenes (one of the places I dream to visit someday is the
Kamchatka in Russia); collecting some Chinese traditional
style paintings and Russian paintings; swimming in natural
rivers and lakes (especially the Han River near my Wuhan
home in the summer); and watching the soccer matches.

I am a true music fan! I like to play harmonica
(mouthorgan) and Spanish guitar. Now I make some excises
with a common saw and a bow (that's a quite new invented
music instrument. The voice is a little bit like that of a
Hawaiian guitar).

I admire and respect a few famous scholars, including:

                                         * H. Poincare
                                         * G. Cantor
                                         * A. Einstein
                                         * B. Russell
                                         * E. Brouwer
                                         * D. Hilbert
                                         * K. Goedel
                                         * A. Robinson

I like some poems too, two poets I like the most are Mao
ZeDong, and Heinrich Heine because the poems of both in
their youth, are quite romantic, but became more
revolutionary and less romantic later. My most favorite
author is Isaac Asimov, for his unmatchable imagination
and high productivity in such high quality.

I do not like to follow any sort of so-called
"authorities", which forbid my freedom and the
independency. I believe the intrinsics of the nature is a
"regret" caused by uncompleteness.

I have a baby named "MNM Project" (MNM's Not a Million),
who is 2 years old now. I am taking care of him to protect
my freedom! A large part of the project is Hackerdom
Training Program (HTP) going on now.

I am a freelance writer, the author of 4 books, including
"Free Software: New Game Rules". I am also the publisher
of FREE SOFTWARE Magazine (FSM). Till now, it is the only
free (the ``free'' in freedom) monthly periodical devoted
to the global free software community. It has both a web
version and a paper version; both are free to copy and
redistribute.

I am still writing a biography for my friend, Richard
Stallman (the Chinese title of the book is "RMS BenJi")
who is the Chairman and one of the founders of Free
Software Foundation. It is a hard project, as I try to
unleash the technical details of his software in Part II
of the book. I would like to write more biographies into
the BenJi series for free books (as a part of MNM
Project).

To publish the free books in Chinese, I need to have a set
of nice free fonts. I am designing high quality, free
PostScript fonts in METAPOST. Since Chinese has thousands
of characters to design, this project is still undergoing.
PostScript specification is open, and widely supported by
the publishing industry. GNU has a tool, "Ghostscript",
which can interpret PostScript files; it is also a
stack-based programming language. Because the typesetting
is so fun, I founded the Chinese TeX User Group (CTUG) in
2000, which aims to promote Prof. Donald Knuth's TeX
system for the community.

As a programmer, I like some programming languages,
including Lisp, (Objective) C and assembly. Now I heavily
work with Scheme for hacking and training. Scheme is a
modern dialect of Lisp, quite small yet very powerful
indeed (I shall say it is RMS who showed me the power and
elegance of Lisp). Maybe you like it too and are
interested in joining my MNM Project?

   You can reach me by snail
   address:

   Suite 3-3, WuZhong Street 200,