[Fsf-friends] Splitting threads

Mahesh T. Pai paivakil@vsnl.net
Mon Dec 15 23:12:44 IST 2003

Ramanraj K said on Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 07:34:10PM +0530,:

 > Can I  view all  posting on  a single thread  alone? Please  do not
 > think I know and I am asking :-) I am just

To some extent, this depends on the client you use.

Email  software  generate  a   unique  identifier  for  every  message
generated;  and   when  somebody  replies,   addas  an  `In-Reply-To:'
header.  A  good mail  client  uses  this  `In-Reply-To:' rather  than
subject line to group messages by thread.

Some mail clients (most non-gui based) allow editing of headers; so if
you fiddle around with the subject and In-Reply-to: header, it will be
possible to split the thread.

For example, those  who use a good mail client  will show this message
threaded as a reply to Ramanraj's message; but see that I have changed
the subject, and removed the `RE:' words in the subject line.

If  you see this  message separate,  and starting  a fresh  thread (of
course, a  `thread' is formed if  somebody else replies to  me using a
standards compliang client), your mail client is broken, or if you use
Mutt, it is badly configured.

--

  Mahesh T. Pai, LL.M.,
  'NANDINI', S. R. M. Road,