[Fsf-friends] Re: Fwd: Re: [gscp] Goa Syllabus for Linux

Suraj Kumar suraj@symonds.net
15 Nov 2002 14:47:53 +0530

On Fri, 2002-11-15 at 13:33, Mahesh T Pai wrote:
> Holder of the copyright (the original author) can of course, give the
> s/w to anybody under a different license.  This is called dual licensing.
>
> Newer versions may be released under non-GPL licenses.  In this case,
> those who got copies under the GPL can continue to use, modify, and
> distribute the older parts, so long as they continue to distribute /
> release the sources.

The best examples of this is SourceForge. savannah.gnu.org runs the
older, free version of the sourceforge colaborative development network
software on its servers while VA continues to develop a non-free version
of its Enterprise Edition on the older free version. I happen to work
for a company which is developing the Source Forge Enterprise Edition
for VA and I'm amazed to see how less important freedom means to these
VA guys. One of the "top" people in VA is patient enough to remove all
occurences of the string 'GNU/' from /etc/motd. Maybe it is his
conscience that pricks him and prolly thats the reason why he did it. :D

   -Suraj
--
|from the pain of ignorant darkness                                |