[Fsf-friends] Re: [LIG]Query on scripts to study servers ...

Philip S Tellis philip@konark.ncst.ernet.in
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 19:53:22 +0530 (IST)

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Frederick Noronha wrote:

> Could someone help me with this task? I need some scripts that would
> help me to search for the type of servers a particular host is

http://httptype.sourceforge.net/

use it and submit your bug reports/feature requests.

<blatant publicity>

It does what you want, and can be used easily in a script.  Accepts one
host on the command line or many hosts through input file, also accepts
urls, any port number, has options to display just the server type, or
additional information as well (like mod_perl, php, etc.), can tell you
the IP address and any aliases for the host as well.  Also works through
http proxies, with authentication (thanks to Binand).  Has a timeout
option so that you don't wait indefinitely for hosts that don't resolve.

I think this is what you want ;)

Oh, yeah, it's GNU GPL'ed and has been used for this kind of work
before, at these two places:

Dennis Jenkins http://www.execpc.com/~denniswj/statewww/
Biznix http://www.biznix.org/surveys/

httptype started as a post on ilug-bom in December 1999.

</blatant publicity>

--
"Irrationality is the square root of all evil"
		-- Douglas Hofstadter