[Fsf Education] Free Software in education.

Pappu fsf-edu@mm.gnu.org.in
Tue, 7 May 2002 10:07:05 +0530

On Monday, 6 May 2002 20:41:58 +0530, Arun M wrote:
 >   Ramakrishnan  has suggested about  Debian GNU/Linux  based distro
 >   with Graphical installer from Progeny.  We need to create and
 >   test it at the earliest.  Ramakrishnan, can you provide some more
 >   details on this.
The pgi  (Progeny graphical  installer) can be  used to  create custom
distributions based on debian archives.  It is a two stage install and
(AFAIK)  doesn't  require  a  reboot.  It  also  includes  a  hardware
detection program  (we may need  to write hooks to  actually configure
the h/w)

Once  the installer  is  customized,  it will  be  easy to  add/remove
packages.

 >  Also needs to make list of required apps.
I have an almost up-to-date debian sid archive in my cache (created by
apt-get) which we plan to use  for this purpose. We would like to know
what all packages will be useful in schools.

bye,
pappu.