Fwd: Re: [Fsf Education] Fwd: Free Software for Education

Arun M fsf-edu@mm.gnu.org.in
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 20:17:30 +0530

Seems that ranjit is not subscribed to list. I am fwding him mail.

Ranjit please verify.

Arun.

----- Forwarded message from Ranjit Babu <d0153019@ncb.ernet.in> -----

Hi!
I think the ideas are great .. there's a project plan which we had
scipted- I'd missed it earlier.. pls find it as an attachment. Maybe it
would make thngs a bit clearer.
The idea for petitioning various boards against proprietary software usage
linked to school syllabi is definitely good. The first thing to do towards
that though is finding relevant material.. the CBSE syllabi is with us but
we've missed out on Computer syllabi.. will try scouring it.
What we need urgently though is people to work ion the website and some
more to review existing software in our context.
Pls have a look at the attached proj plan.

Regards,
+ Ranjit

-----

Free Software for Education
GNU-India

The Objective:
To provide a complete set of Free software tools for education.

Goals

Find what our assets are and streamline these assets to get maximum output.
Championing the value of free software in education- especially in India
which is emerging as a world leader in software training and knowledge
management.
Integrating the application of software in training and development.
Communicating and promoting free software among students.

The project aims to allow people to leverage knowledge content from
free software by:
Proactively alerting and pushing information about the software
to students and the GNU community.
Enabling search capabilities for a free software database customized
for education and training.

Collecting the best ideas and solutions from teams worldwide working
on projects that will add to a pool and use these ahead.

Project Plan:

1. Compile a database of Free software available for education.
2. Evaluate the software
3. Translate the software
5. Maintain a website

Todo: