[ILUG-BOM] Software Patents in India

Venkatesh Hariharan venkyh at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 21:00:02 IST 2008

Dear Arun,

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 12:27 PM, Arun Khan <knura at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Monday 04 Aug 2008, Saurabh Nanda wrote:
> > Anyone planning to go for this event? I'm planning to go, but need to
> > team up with someone knowledgeable to prepare some sort of
> > speech/document.
>
> Agree with above.  I am planning to go as well BUT it would be helpful
> if someone more familiar (e.g. senior members of FSF) with such
> meetings would list out:
>
> 1. what is going to be discussed e.g. draft of the software patent
> manual.  If so a link to it.

The Draft Patent Manual is at
http://ipindia.nic.in/ipr/patent/DraftPatent_Manual_2008.pdf

> 2. who are likely to attend the meet.

Nagarjuna, Saurabh, myself, Prof. Phatak from IIT Bombay. The delhi event
had around 70 people attending. for more details, see my blog at
www.osindia.blogspot.com

> 3. how can members of the LUG participate/help at this meeting.

This document may be helpful. We had commissioned Lawrence Liang and his
team at Alternative Law Forum to write this and they did a brilliant job of
putting this together virtually overnight.

http://www.sarai.net/research/knowledge-culture/critical-public-legal-resources/whysoftwarepatentsareharmful.pdf

Also, the End Software Patents website (www.endsoftpatents.org) website may
be useful.

Hope this helps?