[ILUG-BOM] Feb Meet and SELF Conference

Koustubha Kale koustubha_kale@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sat Feb 3 19:37:01 IST 2007

>> Dangerous. Its as if the the guys controlling the domain can
>> effectively
>> cyber squat his own customer. Has anyone faced such a situaltion?

>yes, and went through hell un-squatting him. Finally had to pay him
>off (could have gone to court but the delay would have killed me)

Did you have to pay off the Domain Registrar or some squatter who had registered the domain?
Generally a domain can not be registered by anybody unless you do not renew registration. There is a very decent period given in between.
Also I have never seen a domain name based pricing by any domain registrar for new name registrations let alone a renewal. So its out of question for a name renewal wherein the name is legally yours and you can very well shift the registrar if they refuse to play ball. I suppose also that in case of such problems being created by a registrar you can complain to ICANN or some such regional authority.

Regards
Koustubha Kale