[ILUG-BOM] Need help/advice for GNU/Linux supported Mother Boards/Chipsets

Mrugesh Karnik mrugeshkarnik@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Jan 30 23:12:13 IST 2007

On Tuesday 30 Jan 2007 21:09:09 Dinesh Shah wrote:
> 3. MSI - K8MM-V
> (http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UI
>D=647)
>
> Chipset
> • VIA(r) K8M800 Chipset
> - HyperTransport™ connection to AMD(r) Athlon™ 64 processor
> - 8 or 16 bit control/address/data transfer both directions
> - 800/600/400/200MHz "Double Data Rate" operation both direction
> - AGP v3.0 compliant with 8x transfer mode
> - Graphic integrated
> • VIA(r) VT8237R Chipset
> - Integrated Faster Ethernet LPC
> - Integrated Hardware Sound Blaster/Direct Sound AC97 audio
> - Ultra DMA 66/100/133 master mode PCI EIDE controller
> - ACPI
> - Supports 2 Serial ATA ports

I have this motherboard. The Unichrome chip was a problem wrt DRI. That was
back in the days of Xorg 6.8 though. Xorg 7 came with the promise of new
Unichrome drivers, but I had already put in an NVIDIA card, so I don't know
how well the Xorg drivers work. If you're not interested in DRI, X works fine
with the vesa drivers.

Everything else has been working perfectly.

Mrugesh Karnik
GPG Key 0xBA6F1DA8
Public key on http://wwwkeys.pgp.net