[ILUG-BOM] Need help/advice for GNU/Linux supported Mother Boards/Chipsets

Dinesh Shah dineshah@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Jan 30 21:09:09 IST 2007

Hi All!,

I want to buy new mother board for my AMD Athelon 64 CPU. Before I
make a purchase, it would be great if we know all the on-board devices
are supported by Linux Kernel.

I have 3 choices

1. Asus - K8V-MX
(http://www.asus.com.tw/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=14&l3=276&model=1189&modelmenu=2)

Chipset: VIA K8M890 VIA VT8237A
Audio: Realtek ALC660 6-Channel Codec
LAN: Realtek RTL8201CL 10/100M LAN PHY

2. Mercury - KVM800M
(http://www.mercury-pc.com/product-detail.php?link=p-mainboards&subtitle=Mainboard&productid=515#)

Chipset: VIA K8M800/8237
VGA: Embedded UniChrome II 3D Graphics with 64M share memory
LAN: VIA VT6103 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet PHY
Audio: Realtek ALC655 6-channel audio Codec (Compliant with AC 97 2.3
specification)

3. MSI - K8MM-V
(http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=647)

Chipset
• VIA(r) K8M800 Chipset
- HyperTransport™ connection to AMD(r) Athlon™ 64 processor
- 8 or 16 bit control/address/data transfer both directions
- 800/600/400/200MHz "Double Data Rate" operation both direction
- AGP v3.0 compliant with 8x transfer mode
- Graphic integrated
• VIA(r) VT8237R Chipset
- Integrated Faster Ethernet LPC
- Integrated Hardware Sound Blaster/Direct Sound AC97 audio
- Ultra DMA 66/100/133 master mode PCI EIDE controller
- ACPI
- Supports 2 Serial ATA ports

Any help/pointer in deciding the compatibility will be appreciated. I
have done some google search but found more non-English pages then
English pages.

TIA for your help.
With regards,
--