[ILUG-BOM] Debian trends and future distros.

Kumar Appaiah akumar@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Mon Jan 29 19:50:25 IST 2007

On Sat, Jan 27, 2007 at 09:42:39PM +0530, Rony wrote:
> Debian 4 which is still under 'Testing' and will be finally called Etch
> http://www.us.debian.org/releases/testing/  can be downloaded for trial
> using a small netinstall iso http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/ from
> http://www.us.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/ The netinstall iso is
> the base system only. But saves download of heavy dvds for testing.
> There are CD isos too but I don't know which iso contains what packages.

For knowing what's on the ISOs, see this:

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/i386/jigdo-cd/

You'll see many .jigdo files. Get them. Then, notice this:

[kumar at debian ~] file debian-testing-i386-CD-1.jigdo
debian-testing-i386-CD-1.jigdo: gzip compressed data, from Unix, max
compression

Bingo! All you do is zless <file>.jigdo, and you see the packages in
the CD.

Also, a package based and web based search is availabe here:

http://www.debian.org/CD/jigdo-cd/

HTH.

Kumar
--