[ILUG-BOM] Re: Linux Asia 07 ?

Manoj Srivastava srivasta@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sun Jan 21 21:26:49 IST 2007

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 13:49:28 +0530 (IST), Philip Tellis said:

> Sometime on Jan 20, Vivek R assembled some asciibets to say:
>> shouldnt it be "GNU/LINUX" Asia 07 ? i mean where is the credit to
>> the community who developed the major

> But GNU isn't a community.  GNU is an (as yet incomplete) operating
> system.

        I am not sure that is entirely accurate.  There has long been
 a community effort around gcc, emacs, gas, bison -- long before there
 was Linux, actually, and even before BSD 4.4 lite was released.  The
 FSF seeds various communities (FSF Europe, for one, comes to mind),
 which are fairly vibrant, and quite productive.

        Unfortunately, the same can't be said of the HURD.

        manoj
--
Repel them.  Repel them.  Induce them to relinquish the spheroid.
Indiana University fans' chant for their perennially bad football team