[ILUG-BOM] Re: Seek advice to quit Windows

Manoj Srivastava srivasta@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sun Jan 21 21:22:02 IST 2007

  [srivasta at acm.org; srivasta at ieee.org, srivasta at computer.org,
  srivasta at golden-gryphon.com]

>> Heh. SO it is not my MUA that is broken, but some strange phobia
>> about letting ones email loose. I guess I am too used to real world
>> mailing lists, like lkml, debian, and the fsf, to think it could be
>> a quaint little reason like this.

> Strange phobia? 75% of the worlds email is spam. Wow that is a
> phobia, isn't it :) Oh and is this a virtual world mailing list? :P
> Maybe this list is just too below your standards. I'm sorry, we
> couldn't meet your 'real world' standards.

        Attempting to hide your email away is like security through
 obscurity: it is a losing battle. I get between 1200-2000 messages a
 day, and am subscribed to wide open debian and fsf mailing lists, and
 yet I have not seen a Spam message in about a month -- so Spam
 detection and scrubbing can indeed be done.

        So no, your approach is not only not the only one possible, it
 is, in my opinion, inferior to setting up a proper Spam fighting
 mechanism.

        BTW, I would be happy to share my experience with the list;
 I'm in the middle of writing a series of blog articles showing how to
 replicate my results; if that would be of interest to people.

>> I'll consider it. Really, tell me, what in his behaviour towards me
>> leads you to think I should grant him the favour of this
>> concession?

> Uh...right...haha...

        At some point, you'll learn that you can get more done with
 honey than with vinegar. You never once said the magic words.

        manoj
--
Necessity is a mother.
Manoj Srivastava <srivasta at acm.org> <http://www.golden-gryphon.com/>