[ILUG-BOM] Re: Seek advice to quit Windows

Manoj Srivastava srivasta@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sun Jan 21 00:21:37 IST 2007

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 23:54:25 +0530, Dinesh Joshi
<dinesh.a.joshi at gmail.com> said:

> On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 22:14 +0530, Rony wrote:
>> Debian is supposed to be the pillar, the foundation of Linux. It
>> should not have installation bugs. I can understand advanced bugs
>> that could

> Bugs are very tricky things to quash. Incase of a project where
> thousands of people contribute, its very difficult to get rid of all
> bugs!

        It is even harder when the bugs are not reported. It is
 impossible to replicate all possible target machine environments and
 configurations in testing.

> So cut them some slack. After all, they are a bunch of
> disorganized, unpaid, freelancers who may or may not have formal
> training in CSE. And its only a toy OS. Nothing real, right ;)

        None of the above adjectives is, in truth, correct.  The
 project is fairly well organized, with specific teams and team
 leaders in charge of specific areas, there is a QA group, a security
 group, and so on,

        With the advent of canonical, progeny, IBM, and now
 dunc-tank, some fraction of the developers are actually paid to work
 on Debian.

        Most people involved in Debian are professionals, and the vast
 majority have degrees in the field -- and there is a NM process that
 would weed out, one hopes, omst of the unprofessional and the
 incompetent.

        BTW, adding a smiley after insults does not abrogate the
 rudeness; and no, I do not find denigrating other people and their
 work to be funny.

        manoj
--
To live is always desirable. Eleen the Capellan, "Friday's Child",
stardate 3498.9