[ILUG-BOM] Re: Seek advice to quit Windows

Kumar Appaiah akumar@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sat Jan 20 22:56:20 IST 2007

On Sat, Jan 20, 2007 at 10:14:42PM +0530, Rony wrote:
> Debian is supposed to be the pillar, the foundation of Linux. It should
> not have installation bugs. I can understand advanced bugs that could
> not have been noticed before, but not simple ones. From what I have
> heard about Debian, a contributor is not accepted officially till
> atleast 5 or more years, in order to ensure that what is contributed is
> of the highest quality level. Debian does not release its distros as
> often as Ubuntu, in order to ensure more stability. A Debian distro
> should work out of the box without any setup issues.

About the contributor part, I refuse to agree. One need not be a
Debian developer to contribute. You can contribute your packages if
you manage to convince a Debian developer to upload the package on
your behalf. The Debian developer checks the packages etc., so quality
isn't a big problem. And, the credit and responsibility of maintaining
the package goes to you, not the Debian developer who uploads it.

Also, I still believe that Debian distro with the old style setup
install works as I expect it to. Only, people from other distributions
don't associate themselves with that. For me, the procedure has always
been install base from first CD using the text/curses based installer
and point sources.list to the right server and get the necessary
stuff. Of course, since Debian has been late into moving to the point
and click installer system, it will take time. Only, it takes a bit
longer for Debian... :-)

But one thing's for sure. There will always be people using Debian
unstable + testing, since it works very well for them.

Kumar
--
Kumar Appaiah,
462, Jamuna Hostel,