[ILUG-BOM] Seek advice to quit Windows

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sat Jan 20 15:58:40 IST 2007

On 20-Jan-07, at 10:31 AM, Philip Tellis wrote:

> I don't agree on any of the programming book recommendations.  All
> books on programming languages are filled with the author's own
> biases and in some cases, lack of proper research.  K&R may be good
> for C, but it's not something you should start with.
>
> I'd recommend that people start learning a language without the aid
> of a book, but by reading other people's code and using grep and
> the man page for any function that they don't understand.  Start by
> reading simple programs, and modifying them to suit your own needs.

we have had this discussion on this list a couple of years back.
Different people learn in different ways. Some want to be taught,
others hate being taught. Some want to read up everything before
starting. Others never read anything - they just dive in. Each to his
own. The only thing i can say for sure - you will never improve
unless you are constantly reading and re-reading the manual. Another
great way of learning is to teach someone else ...

--
regards

Kenneth Gonsalves
Associate, NRC-FOSS