[ILUG-BOM] Open SUSE 10.2 Disks Required

jtd jtd@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Fri Jan 19 17:23:25 IST 2007

On Friday 19 January 2007 15:41, Harsh Busa wrote:
> On 1/19/07, jtd <jtd at mtnl.net.in> wrote:

> with due respect to fellow luggers emotions fedora eula does not
> read very different
> http://fedora.redhat.com/licenses/eula.html
>
> fedora is a trademark of RH. which means it is a collaborative work
> of redhat (correct me if i m wrong ).
> if you change any software is changed they need to remove fedora
> trademark individual app license supersede overall license.
>
> can somebody compare eula from other linux based os vendors ?

That is completely different from not allowing reuse or distribution
oeither whole or in parts the software WITHOUT the trade mark. What
this is trying to do is protect the trade mark so that newbie or
crookedbie does not creat crap package and ship it as fedora core.

Nowhere does it say that u cant distribute for money or bundle with
other services, or reuse in part or whole or that the intellectual
property refers to patents. Infact the above specifically says that
intellectual property refers to copyright. However the googly is
"other laws". Which is still not explicitly patents. As opposed to
Novell which states "Intellectual Property rights" without
clarification which would automatically include (as understood in the
US) copyright and patents.

IMO RH is sitting very close to the fence and Novell with the likes of
lindows (or whatever it's called) have crossed over to the
darkside.And it does not matter what brain dead expalnations the
distro makers give. The licence says it all.
Contrast the above with this
http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines

And you can do everything legally doable using Debian (add other known
good disto here).

--
Rgds
JTD