[ILUG-BOM] Open SUSE 10.2 Disks Required

Pradeepto Bhattacharya pradeeptob@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Fri Jan 19 17:16:11 IST 2007

Hi

On 1/19/07, jtd <jtd at mtnl.net.in> wrote:
> On Friday 19 January 2007 11:49, Pradeepto Bhattacharya wrote:
> > Hi,

> > > i guess we ought to start a switch off Suse campaign. That ought
> > > to send a message to Novell.
> >
> >         No, OpenSUSE has caused no harm. And its a community
> > project.
>
> HA HA. Are u a joking.
>
> Read my earlier mail and the link again. Very carefully.
>
> And these are the visible gotchas. The bigger problem is the
> invisible. Implied by several clauses in the eula. Go read and figure
> or get screwed.

           Well, I am no license lawyer, so I just go an ask people
who know about it or who know somebody who knows about it.

           So that's what I did, ask somebody. I asked a KDE\SUSE dev.
So he spoke to his product manager or some such and got back with this
-

"
there are 2 versions: the boxed version and the internet version
the boxed version has OSS and non OSS on one DVD, and the CD set
the internet version has an OSS DVD, an OSS CD set, and a non-OSS CD.

all the internet media are redistributable

but the non-OSS CD must be distributed as a whole
ie you can't remaster it without XYZ and call it openSUSE.

the internet version is freely redistributable by any means

the non-OSS internet media may not be; that is part of the conditions
by which SUSE are allowed to include them on the distro

i hope i've made it clear that the non-modification applies to the non-OSS CD
"

         So I am guessing, its ok if somebody downloads OpenSUSE 10.2
[1] [2] ( internet version - oss ), copies it and gives it to Amol.
Amol can do the same with the copy he got. If you don't modify it
nothing and if you do there's no point in called it OpenSUSE.

         I think I have enough commits to the mailing list for the
day, I really didnot mean to get involved in a flamewar ( if this is
one ).

[1]http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/10.2/iso/dvd/openSUSE-10.2-GM-DVD-i386.iso
[2]http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/10.2/iso/torrent/openSUSE-10.2-GM-DVD-i386.torrent

         Cheers!