[ILUG-BOM] Seek advice to quit Windows

Vihan Pandey vihanpandey@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Thu Jan 18 17:01:43 IST 2007

> I downloaded Debian Sarge and tried to install it. The installation went
> fine.
> But I think i missed to select the "Desktop" option during
> installation. If I enter
> "startx" command i encounter errors. I thought Xfree86 was not
> installed. so I tried
> 'apt-get install x-windows-system'. I found this in the Internet. But
> still "startx"

# apt-get install gdm

This ought to get your GUI ready, however if it throws some funny error like
``This package is referred to by another" or ``this package has no
installation candidate" go to the Debian site and do a search for that
package, you'll see all of its dependencies neatly shown towards the end of
the page.

Then

# apt-get install YOUR_PACKAGE_NAME

You generally follow this for all packages you wish to install.

wouldnt work. I am trying to figure that out.
> But I have a question. When I first installed Sarge. I could see a X11
> folder in /etc.
> Why was this folder created if X was not installed initially? Is it
> created by default?

i guess it did not install all of the stuff needed to get X up.

Regards,

- vihan