[ILUG-BOM] Free Software for NGOs

Dinesh Joshi dinesh.a.joshi@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Jan 17 23:37:22 IST 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 22:05 +0530, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was just wondering; do NGOs in India look at FOSS as an alternative
> for cost-cutting at all? Has anyone on-list succeeded in introducing
> FOSS in any NGO-aided school or vocational training centre?

I dont know about NGOs but a CDAC training centre I know is trying to
make the switch from Windoze servers to Linux servers. The problem is
that the sys-admin there has zero knowledge about big professionally
built servers. I dont claim to know either but using some "free proxy"
on Win XP Pro speaks little of their tech know how. Internet "sharing"
can be easily achieved using RRaS in M$ Win servers...

Dinesh A. Joshi