[ILUG-BOM] Free Software for NGOs

Gabin Kattukaran boon@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Jan 17 23:34:19 IST 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 22:05 +0530, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was just wondering; do NGOs in India look at FOSS as an alternative
> for cost-cutting at all? Has anyone on-list succeeded in introducing
> FOSS in any NGO-aided school or vocational training centre?

Somewhere along the way an NGO would need to factor in the cost of
having someone with enough clue to run the FOSS setup. Today, an NGO's
(or any non-IT setup's) best bet is to go with whatever the hardware guy
is willing to support. Those NGO's that have the budget/contacts to
hire/sucker/involve a geek may consider going in for a FOSS setup. I
remember Childline having their email and web gateway setup for them on
linux by one of my friends only because his then girlfriend worked
there.

So, feel free to offer your services to the NGO that supports a cause
that is close to your heart (or relatively near.)

-gabin

--
Many are cold, but few are frozen.