[ILUG-BOM] FOSS and Reliance [was Seek advice to quit Windows]

Dhawal Doshy dhawal@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Jan 17 17:20:10 IST 2007

jtd wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 January 2007 14:09, Dhawal Doshy wrote:
>
>>  From what i've heard from an ex-reliance employee is that they
>> make a good effort to ensure that linux users can easily use their
>> services. Why?? i wouldn't know.
>
> Rubbish. They took pppconfig (afair) and modified it to
> install /etc/chatscripts/reliance and would not release the code or
> even say 'reliance' was the only file required. Never mind that u
> could just copy at+CRM=1;$LGPKT=3 to any dialers conf file and make
> it work.

And did any other ISP do even this much for linux users? I never claimed
they wrote something from scratch.
And did you bother to document the workaround / solution and share it
with others?

Proof will be enough to shut me up.. i have no love of reliance, but i
think the are doing a decent job OR at least tried doing one (they all
do until they get a majority of the subscribers and then leech them).

can we EOT this?? we have a new enthusiastic user to help.

- dhawal