[ILUG-BOM] Seek advice to quit Windows

Dhawal Doshy dhawal@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Jan 17 15:47:19 IST 2007

Varadarajan V wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> First of all I thank you all for all your suggestions. Frankly, dint expect
> so many of you would reply so quickly. :-). This community is amazing.
>
> I am sorry for not mentioning that I already use linux though havent
> learnt enough  for system administration. I use FC 6 and a couple of live
> cds inclu. Ubuntu. Now I want to change it in my profession too. But I do
> not know what is required to be a linux professional.

excellent that gives you an advantage already.

> I  do not like microsoft for its "way of  working". They take away my
> freedom,
> my right to knowledge. I can always ignore microsoft. That is what I
> am trying to do.
> I prefer to put my efforts in learning and contributing to linux and
> wish to quit windows
> completely.

true, plus for a administrator i hate the way event log works, makes
troubleshooting a nightmare.

> I am not doing this because others do. I have been observing/reading a
> lot before I
> made a decision.

Now put your observation / experience to practical use and take the
plunge slowly but with confidence. It'll be difficult to find a job in
linux administration without experience but here are a few tricks.

a. If it is in your control, change the local gateway to a linux machine
and setup transparent squid and a caching nameserver on it (after due
testing).. smile when users appreciate that Internet is faster that before.
b. Setup a local file / print server with samba and migrate some users
to it and later then entire company.
c. Setup a local Instant messaging server.. if you have multiple
locations, it's an excellent way to communicate rather than pick up a phone.

This way you'll get practical linux experience at your current job.. and
  will help your company reduce costs. See deepofix for an example at
http://deeproot.in/deepofix/demo

> I hope I have not raised a wrong question at a wrong place.

Nopes, not at all..

> Thank you all again.
>

> Regards,
> Raj